|Institution & Website
||West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine www.wvsom.edu
||Learning Specialist I
|| This is a full-time non-classified position with full state benefits and is exempt from FLSA provisions regarding overtime. As a non-classified employee this person will serve at the will and pleasure of the President of WVSOM. The minimum starting salary for this position is $50,000 and will be commensurate with education and experience.
|Duties & Responsibilities
||Under supervision, this position creates, develops and implements academic intervention programs for groups of students and provides individual academic skills consultations to facilitate success in medical school. This position works on a flexible schedule to accommodate students’ class, exam and rotation commitments. This position makes proper referrals to confidential mental health counseling, as needed.
Specific Job Functions:
- Provide individual academic skills assessments and consultations with students under both voluntary and mandatory attendance conditions. Meet with students to assess their need for academic support services and help them develop effective habits and active learning strategies for medical school study and exam-taking. Reach out to students demonstrating academic difficulty and offer assistance. Help students with disabilities (e.g., ADHD, learning disabilities) make arrangements to apply for academic accommodations in accordance with WVSOM policy. Follow up with students as needed and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Non-academic issues must be referred to a Learning Specialist/Student Counselor II. Determination for referrals may include the use of appropriate assessments. Maintain appropriate documentation.
- Under supervision, assist with the creation, development and implementation of academic support and intervention programs for groups of students, faculty and staff, for example: Learning Enhancement and Proficiency (LEAP) for repeating students, including sessions on active learning, concept mapping, test-taking and time management; mandatory classes on active learning strategies for all first year students; and workshops on a variety of topics including, but not limited to, learning strategies, test-taking, learning styles, and COMLEX preparation.
- Develop academic tools and resources for student use to be accessed via the ASPIRE website.
- Manage the peer tutoring program, including the development of group tutoring and facilitated study group components.
- Engage in and/or develop other special projects based on institutional need and individual interest and expertise (i.e., reading program, Title IX investigation)
- Participate in departmental and, as appropriate, institutional committees and groups that develop programs, responses and interventions for students with academic needs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
||Earned Master’s degree in psychology, education or related field with a minimum of one year of recent and related experience in advising college and graduate student populations with academic issues on an individual basis. As a significant majority of the incumbent’s time will be spent in teaching active learning skills, experience in this area is required. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in teaching active learning skills in small groups and classroom settings in addition to work with individual students.
- Experience in planning support programs for at-risk students.
- Experience in working with students who have been diagnosed with ADHD, learning disabilities or other academic concerns.
- Experience with making referrals to licensed mental health professionals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to establish rapport with adult medical students.
- Experience working with individuals exhibiting testing and learning problems, which may be present in a medical student class.
- Skills with learning assessment tools and procedures.
- Familiarity with report writing for educational evaluations.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with team of faculty and staff in the best interests of our students.
|Starting Date & Posting Dates
|Submit the Following Information:
||To apply for this position, please visit http://www.wvsom.edu/employment
Applications are considered confidential, and references will not be contacted without notifying the applicant. The search committee will begin its review of applications upon receipt.